Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Blog as a Community

My GMail spam has jumped sharply in the past week, with some getting through, so I am wary about entering a new "space" such as this. This post serves to check out some parameters. I use NewsCrawler to set up feeds from my favorite authors, some themes, and some journals. Most journals now offer RSS and/or Atom feeds. I will send a separate post showing its use. Comment spamming is as rife as e-mail spamming, so I suggest you set comments to either none, or to the named authors. A human, but not machine readable text, is used as a password for each comment. Maybe you have done this. I would also turn off posting hornbylab blog to google's feed. Only Dave has these editor features. One limitation may turn out to be the absence of categories, but if it looks like lab blogging is useful, then a move to a hosted WordPress may be appropriate. This would also allow pre-publication or sensitive material to be posted. WordPress is more fully featured and is also free. I can show you next time I am in.
There was an article in the FT about lecturers using podcasts and webcasts of their lectures, a microbiologist at Warwick getting rave reviews! Wireless link webcast and you would not even have to turn up, lecturer or student. The F-floor lecture theatre perhaps marks the end of an era.
To Ottawa tomorrow, from +30 deg to -10 deg in 48 hours. Not good.

BTW, I think you have the clock set to US time.

No comments: